Fink - Documentation
This is a collection of various documents written for Fink. Some of the documents may also be useful to people who use Mac OS X or Darwin without Fink and want to learn about porting Unix software.
The current user documentation for Fink:
- Fink User's Guide - this covers installing Fink itself, installing packages, and upgrading to a new Fink release. It contains instructions for both the source and the binary release.
- Fink Advanced Topics Guide - covers more advanced concepts than those covered in the User's Guide.
- Running X11 on Darwin and Mac OS X - covers concepts, installation and launching (also intended for Darwin and Mac OS X users in general)
A bunch of documents that are more complete, but slightly outdated and no longer maintained:
- Installation and Upgrading - how to install Fink or upgrade to a new version
- Usage - how to use Fink and the installed software
- Fink ReadMe - the ReadMe for the source distribution
- CVS Access - how to access the Fink CVS repository to get the latest source packages between releases
- Security Policy Manual - Mandatory read for all of those who either maintain packages in Fink or would like to add their own.
- Using Fink: A Developer's How To (2MB pdf file) - slides from a presentation at the O'Reilly Mac OS X Conference (also available as a PowerPoint file)
- Porting Tips - notes for porting Unix applications to Darwin
- Packaging Tutorial - a complement to the Packaging Manual which focuses on real examples and introduces packaging to beginners.
- Packaging Manual - how to create and maintain Fink packages
- The Fink Developer Wiki - includes developer-related material that is under construction.