Upgrade Instructions for macOS 10.14.6
10.9/10/11/12/13 to 10.14.6
Before installing 10.14.6, use
fink selfupdate(with rsync or git) to get the latest version of
- Update the OS. Fink will behave differently if you install macOS 10.14.0-10.14.4 compared to macOS 10.14.5+. It's highly recommended that you upgrade macOS 10.14 to the latest point release (10.14.6 or higher).
- Install Xcode 11.3.1 if you haven't already, or at least its Command Line Tools. If you already have Xcode 11.3.1, you will still need to reinstall the Command Line Tools, even if you had those installed already.
If you have Xcode 11.3.1, run
sudo xcodebuild -licenseto accept the terms of the Xcode license. This is not required if you are using only the command-line tools.
fink configureto reactivate Fink's build user, since Apple wipes out our users (but not groups for some reason).
fink reinstall finkto point to the 10.14.5 distribution.
fink install perl5182-coreif you had any
Fink on 10.14.5+ does not support
-pm5162packages, so you'll need to manually migrate those to
fink list -it passwd | cut -f2 | xargs fink reinstallif you had any
If you updated from 10.9/10/11/12/13 to 10.14 with a fink which doesn't know about 10.14.6, you won't be able to proceed. You can download a compatible pre-built fink and install it via the terminal by running
sudo dpkg -i fink_0.45.1-141_darwin-x86_64.debin the folder where you downloaded it.
10.8 and earlier to 10.14:
There is no supported upgrade path for Fink from 10.8 (or earlier) to 10.14.
The instructions here are an abridged version of those found in the Fink blog. The entries there provide a more detailed upgrade explanation.
This process collects the list of packages that you have installed on your current Fink and saves them for later use during the Fink install on 10.14
To collect the list of packages, follow the sequence below:
grep -B1 "install ok installed" /sw/var/lib/dpkg/status | grep Package | cut -d: -f2 > fink_packages.txtto dump your package information to a file.
- Rename your Fink tree by using
sudo mv /sw /sw.old, for example.
- Install macOS 10.14, as well as Xcode 11.3.1, or the Command Line Tools at minimum.
- Install Fink on your new 10.14 system.
- Run the command:
cat fink_packages.txt | xargs fink installto have your new Fink setup install as many of the packages that you previously had installed on 10.8 or earlier as are available.
- Remove your /sw.old directory.
Not all of the packages available on 10.8 and earlier OS X versions are available on 10.14 due to several underlying changes in the system. Work is ongoing to make as many packages available as possible. If your favorite package is not available on 10.14, please contact the package maintainer and ask if it can be migrated.